Thursday 16 February 2017

Ping timed out.

Just a quick note to say that I am still working on Space Invaders. Slow going as I'm still coming up to speed with how it all works again, but at least now the shields are in approximate position, albeit yet to be rotated.

Interestingly a thread in an Apple II programming group led to a brief discussion on Apple Invader. Now that was an impressive home conversion back in the day, and would have been a little easier to port to the Coco3 than the arcade original... but not quite as cool?


Still been thinking about the next Coco3 project. It would be fair to say that this game is an unlikely candidate for a Coco3 port due mainly to the hardware used, and that's a big part of the attraction for me. Surprisingly it has actually been ported to other 8-bit machines! I've approached two different programmers that have worked on either reverse-engineering or porting the original, but neither have deigned to respond thus far.

Never mind, I think I have the technical details worked out. Just would have been nice to compare notes and perhaps get some insight into the performance I could expect on the Coco3 without having to employ further trickery...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to the completed port of Space Invaders on the CoCo3. I remember playing it at the arcade, and it was one of the first games I had on my first game console, the Atari 2600. I like seeing Space Invaders listed as #2 in the documentary "How Videogames Changed The World" from 2013. At 6:15 into the video, they talk about how significant it was in videogame history.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=32wN4IIDW1o

    ReplyDelete