Tuesday 26 January 2016

Knight Lore (title) make its Coco3 debut

I still need to give the disassembly a once-over and play-test the C version but I thought I'd get started on a few new things just to keep me interested.

Here's the title screen as displayed on the CoCo3; it uses the original spectrum video and attribute memory dump data, first displaying it in monochrome and then colourising it. Just a quick 'n' dirty hack and the palette could do with some improvement.

Title screen - displayed on the Coco3 (MESS)

The other thing I did was take a look at the disassembly of Alien 8, the next game to use the same engine. It looks very, very similar and I don't think it will be a lot of work to reverse-engineer that as well. I've already defined all the code and data spaces.

I wanted to take a look at Alien 8 before getting too far into the Coco3 port because by all reports the engine was improved in some areas, and there's a chance I might be able to incorporate those improvements into Knight Lore (as well).

Not sure yet when I will start on the Coco3 port of Knight Lore proper, but I still have a few things to do with the source and Z80 version first.

I also have some ambitious (and exciting?) plans for the engine on the Coco3 - but that's quite a long while off yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment